Friday, October 15, 2010

Shooting the Eco Ranch

Last year, a couple that my wife designed a house for overlooking the Texas Hill Country outside of Austin let us shoot their house, and here is the set from the shoot. As many of you know, her firm is Hobbs' Ink.


As it was one of my first times to take photographs "in anger", it was a learning experience.  I took something like 300 pictures, which was massive overkill, and I found that following that approach can get some good images, but it makes the vetting process so daunting that it's difficult to finish the project.  More after the jump...

Mark and Sandra had some specific and very green ideas about how they wanted their house built, and they and Janet worked together to bring it all together in a very nice home.  It incorporates rainwater collection, a very large wrap-around porch and large overhangs and covered areas.  There is also a very large and well-integrated fenced yard for their dogs.  We arrived about 2 hours before sunset, and I now know that it was way too early to get started: the hour before sunset is about the earliest you want to start, and most of the pictures I took in that first hour hit the trash, just because of how harsh and unflattering the light was. Additionally, some things (like the rainwater system and the shop) which I should have gotten more pictures of went begging while I sought some elusive shot that never materialized.

Janet is much more a "decide the picture you want, then get it" type, and she helped me get some of the better ones.  Actually, she pretty much put her foot down when it looked like I might miss the best opportunity, so I was glad for her guidance. Anyway, here's the rest of the set: Carter's Photostream.

No comments:

Post a Comment